Margaret Weymann Atkinson
Margaret, originally from Greensboro, NC has been playing musical instruments since the age of 3. She was a full fledged church pianist and recording artist by 5. By age 12 she had over 25 piano students and when one student asked Margaret to teach her harp, she had to learn something to teach! She immediately fell in love with the instrument as it was so different than any of the other 7 instruments she played. This embarked her career as a professional harpist, studying all over the world from the Harp Colony in Maine to the Conservatory of Music in Geneva Switzerland. Performing with conductors such as Donald Vorhees, Arthur Fiedler of the Boston Pops, performing with the traveling Broadway group performing Fantasticks, harpist with the Hyatt Hotels for 15 years, had a music studio with a touring 10 harp ensemble and played on tour in 7 countries around the world.
Margaret’s wedding ensemble has been performing in the Texas area for many years and provides a combination of experienced, professional players including harp, flute, recorder, keyboard, violin, trumpet, sax, and vocal. At one time she had a TV program for children. In South Carolina she founded 3 music stores that had large teaching programs that included the Piano Baldwin Lab and the Conn Guitar Group teaching labs. At the peak of her teaching carrier she was instructing over 150 students each week while also doing her own performances.
The list is very extensive regarding the events she a been involved with, they include:
- Miss Universe Contest
- Silent auctions and large charity events
- Large, private parties
- Celebrity weddings on boats, sand dunes
- Retail venues and smaller parties (Disney)
- Private large to small weddings (in hotels, gardens, living rooms, hill tops, and even nudist colonies)
- Holidays including Christmas/Hannakah private and office parties
- Celebrities such as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Omar Shariff, the president of Guatemala
- Crown Prince of Kuwait and all his family, just to mention a few
- Music director for 3 different churches in South Carolina
- Played in a 12 piece professional band in Dallas Texas for 12 years, recording commercials, CD, etc